The Stockade Boma at Abercorn in 1893. Constructed by Consul Hugh Marshall, it stood on the left bank of the Lucheche Stream facing down stream with its front gate facing the old Stevenson Road. Later this road ran to St Paul's Mission. It used to wind down to Katuta Bay in Lake Tanganyika where the African Lakes Corporation had a depot. The site is some 2 to 3km north of the Old Prison near what used to be called the Boma Gardens. There should be the remains of a large high roofed house nearby.
This circa 1904 post card is surely the first pictorial card from Northern Rodesia. It shows the old road in Abercorn with the first Post Office and other buildings on the right. This was on the NW side of Cemetry Hill. The remains of these offices can still be found in 2018 some 200ms from the southern side of the Pioneer’s Cemetery opposite the side entrace. They need protecting form cultivation that is encrouching on them. The card was sent by Baron Rhoeder a member of Lt Graetz’s motor party during their trip from Dar-es-Salaam to Windhoek. Courtesy Carsten Möhle of Bwana Tucke Tucke Safaris.
The Magistrates Office, Abercorn from Through the Heart of Africa by Frank H. Melland and Edward H. Chomeley published by Constable and Co. in 1912. This appears to be the second Boma after Marshall's stockade on the Lucheche. It now seems that this substantial building would have been on what was the main cross roads in Abercorn just below the present Post Office. The remains of the foundations are still visible as the small graden infront of the present Post Office. These older buildings were soon riddled with white ants as they had no ant course and the roof structure became dangerous. Questions remain as to the building on the right of the Magistate’s Office. It can only be the Boma but the dates of this building do not match the verbal record.
Abercorn's first Post Office. Jim McNeil, the telegraphist and
Post Master was appointed in 1899 by the African
Transcontinental Telegraph Service that had pushed through a telegraph line from the south.
Photo courtesy Stewart and Liz White.
The first Post Master Jim McNeil on he steps of the First Post Office in Abercorn. This was probably on "Cemetery" hill over looking Lake Chila. Jim McNeil a Man of Africa, recorded images of his time there through his beautiful drawings, photograph, caricatures of local residents and his diaries.
Courtesy Stewart and Liz White.
The African Lakes Corporation Mandala Store in Abercorn was the probably the first two storey structure in what became the Northern Province. There was accomodation for the Manager and staff on the upper floor. The height of the building was subsequently reduced because of the risk from earth tremours. This building is still standing across the road from the T.V.M.I and diagonally opposite the Post Office. The roof has just in Nov. 2018 painted a good shade of green.
Abercorn's special style was there from the start.
European Residents in 1905 or 1906. Note Hugh Marshall first commissioner at top left and a very young Ronald Smith.
Photo and names courtesy Anita McCullough.
Claude Oldfield is second left of this group at the Native Commissioner's House in Abercorn in 1914. Photo Malcolm Alexander.
Group at the Native Commissioner's House in Abercorn in 1914
includes Claude Oldfield the NC. Photo: Malcolm Alexander.
Note the number of small children.
The Abercorn May Day Party held at Mr Gordon Lobb's farm on the Siaisi in 1914. See Articles on Abercorn for a description taken from the Northern Rhodesia Journal. vol.ii, no. 1. pages 76-79.
Abercorn residents on the rocks where the Lecheche stream exits Lake Chila. Includes Asst. Native Commissioner Weggerle, Hall and Mrs Lobb. Ronald Smith extreme right. Photo Livingstone Museum.
Front row : Hugh Marshall, Mrs Grace Blyth of Jerico Farm and Mrs Marshall.
Back row: George? Blyth and Ronald Smith on right. Photo Livingstone Museum.
1905, House Party at the home of Hugh Marshal, Magistrate and Civil Commissioner Abercorn November 11.
Front Row: Mrs C. Blyth, Mrs Marshall, Mrs A. Miller.
Back Row: Gordon Lobb, John Deacon (trader and hunter) H. Marshall, A. Miller, Native Commissioner Mporokoso, G. Weggerle, Assistant N. C.
Tea on the Tennis Ground Abercorn 4th March 1905, Mr Gibson. Mr Irvine, Dr Wareham, Mrs Wareham, Mr D. (?) Dayer, Baby W. Vereker.
From the Marshal Collection in the Livingstone Museum.
Lt Gaetz of the German Army in Tanganyika visits Abercorn.
This is the first car to visti the area and was photographed out side what looks like the African Lakes Corporation [ Mandala] Store.
Commander Spicer-Simpson RN with his men on Lake Tanganyika. "The Ice Cream War" and other histories tell the story of his extraordinary expedition to Lake Tanganyika with the Mimi and the TouTou to sink the German vessels then dominating the lake.
General Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck marching from the Chambezi to surrender in Abercorn on 25th November 1918.
The site of the first original Abercorn Prison. This predates the existing Old Prison Museum that is across the main road that goes down to Lake Chila. This site is about opposite the Police Station. It was fortified in 1914 and defended Abercorn during the 1915 German attack.
The Defense of the Siaisi in 1915 also showing Lobb's Farm, the Stevenson Road and the Telegraph Line.
Line up of the Guns von Lettow Forbeck surrendered in Abercorn in November 1918. See next image for details of the weapons and Articles section for a description of the event.
Ref. BC330, Molteno/Murray Papers, UCT Libraries Special Collections.
Reverse of the image of the surrendered German guns.
Collection BC330, Molteno/Murray Papers, UCT Libraries Special Collections.