View over the southern end of Lake Tanganyika from lip of the Mpona Falls on the Izi River. Photo Steve Kilbey. Kumbula Island centre with "Crocidile" Island visible behind
Dames des Isles at Mpulungu. This large launch some how made her way from the Channels Isles to Lake Tanganyika where she was used by the District commissioner and government officials.
The Liemba approaching the wharf. Note the smoke indicting that this phtos was taken before she was converted to diesel fuel
The Laurent Giles designed cutter Sonata at her moorings at the Fishery’s Jetty, Mpulungu. Note the Evening Star at her masthead. Sonata visited Kasanga in Tanzania and made trips to Kasaba Bay battling the Kabata anabatic wind with the help of beafy Outward Bound Instructors way out on trapezes to counter- balance the little yacht.
Mpulungu in 1939. Note the very high water. Also the complete "close shave" of the vegetation on the water margins.
Albertville now Kalemie in the 1920s. It was the major Belgian town on the Western shore of Lake Tanganyika.
The Belgian steamer Baron Dhanis. This vessel used to visit Mpulungu in the 1950s when the SS Liemba was being refitted.
Moses a very well known and highly respected Mpulungu boatman of the 1950s. Does anyone know his full name?
A Quiet moment at Mpulungu between Liemba visits in the 1950s.
The little white boat was the Nakatali built by Tom Arnold for the Gamwell sisters. Later owned by Colin Carlin.
Dhow rigged vessel leaves Mpulungu Port in the mid 1950s. This is the image that must have raided alarm and fear in lakeside villages in the days of the slaver raiders.
Sit Alan Cobham's Short all metal Singapore type Flying Boat at rest in Mpulungu in 1929. From Twenty Thousand Miles in a Flying Boat by Sir Alan Cobham 1930.
The German vessel the Herman von Weissman that shelled Katuat Bay and holed the Good News. She was sunk by Commander Spicer Simpson's flotilla.