The Stockade Boma at Abercorn in 1893. Constructed by Consul Hugh Marshall, it stood on the left  bank of  the Lucheche Stream facing down stream with its front gate facing the old Stevenson Road. Later this road ran to St Paul's Mission. It  used to wind down to Katuta Bay in Lake Tanganyika where the African Lakes Corporation had a depot. The site is  some 2 to 3km  north of the Old Prison near what used to be called the Boma Gardens. There should be the remains of a large high roofed house nearby.
 This circa 1904 post card is surely the first pictorial card from Northern Rodesia. It shows the old  road in Abercorn with the first Post Office and other buildings on the right. This was on the NW side of Cemetry Hill. The remains of these offices can still be found in 2018 some 200ms from the southern side of the Pioneer’s Cemetery opposite the side entrace. They need protecting form cultivation that is encrouching on them. The card was sent by Baron Rhoeder a member of Lt Graetz’s motor party during their trip from Dar-es-Salaam to Windhoek. Courtesy Carsten Möhle of Bwana Tucke Tucke Safaris.
 Abercorn's first Post Office. Jim McNeil, the  telegraphist and   Post Master was appointed in 1899 by the  African  Transcontinental Telegraph Service that had pushed through a telegraph line from the south.    Photo courtesy Stewart and Liz White.
 The first Post Master Jim McNeil on he steps of the First Post Office in Abercorn. This was probably on "Cemetery" hill over looking Lake Chila.  Jim McNeil a Man of Africa, recorded  images of his time there through his beautiful drawings, photograph,    caricatures of local residents and his diaries.       Courtesy Stewart and Liz White.   
 H. C. Marshall the First Commissioner stationed at Abercorn.
 The Magistrates Office, Abercorn from  Through the Heart of Africa  by Frank H. Melland and Edward H. Chomeley published by Constable and Co. in 1912. This building was built in 1902 and was first  the Magistrates Office and the Post Office. It was sited on what was the main crossroad in Abercorn just below the present 1950s Post Office.  The remains of the foundations are still visible as the small graden infront of the present Post Office. The Magistate  and Government oOfice later moved to what was a new Boma about 200 m further west along the main road and it became to Post Office and Post Master’s house..These older buildings became riddled with white ants as they had no ant course and the roof structure became dangerous. The building on the right of Post Office. It can only be the Boma.
 The African Lakes Corporation Mandala Store in Abercorn was the probably the first two storey structure in what became the Northern Province. There was accomodation for the Manager and staff on the upper floor. The height of the building was subsequently reduced because of the risk from earth tremours. This building is still standing across the road from the T.V.M.I and diagonally opposite the Post Office. The roof has just in Nov. 2018 painted a good shade of green.
 Mandala Stores, Marshal Avenue. The old African Lakes Company building was across from the TVMI.    
 Abercorn Socialites 1905 or 6. See next image for names.
 Abercorn's special style was there from the start.  European Residents in 1905 or 1906. Note Hugh Marshall first commissioner at top left and a very young Ronald Smith.  Photo and names courtesy Anita McCullough.
 Claude Oldfield is second left of this group at the Native Commissioner's House in Abercorn in 1914. Photo Malcolm Alexander.
 Group at the Native Commissioner's House in Abercorn in 1914  includes Claude Oldfield the NC. Photo: Malcolm Alexander.  Note the number of small children.
 The Abercorn May Day Party held at Mr Gordon Lobb's farm on the Siaisi in 1914. See Articles on Abercorn for a description taken from the Northern Rhodesia Journal. vol.ii, no. 1. pages 76-79.
 Abercorn residents on the rocks where the Lecheche stream exits Lake Chila. Includes Asst. Native Commissioner Weggerle, Hall and Mrs Lobb. Ronald Smith extreme right. Photo Livingstone Museum.
 Front row : Hugh Marshall, Mrs Grace Blyth of Jerico Farm and Mrs Marshall.  Back row: George? Blyth and Ronald Smith on right. Photo Livingstone Museum.
 1905, House Party at the home of Hugh Marshal, Magistrate and Civil Commissioner Abercorn November 11.  Front Row: Mrs C. Blyth, Mrs Marshall, Mrs A. Miller.  Back Row: Gordon Lobb, John Deacon (trader and hunter) H. Marshall, A. Miller, Native Commissioner Mporokoso, G. Weggerle, Assistant N. C.
 Tea on the Tennis Ground Abercorn 4th March 1905, Mr Gibson. Mr Irvine, Dr Wareham, Mrs Wareham, Mr D. (?) Dayer, Baby W. Vereker.  From the Marshal Collection in the Livingstone Museum.
 Interior of Mr and Mrs Marshall's Abercorn residence. Photo Livingstone Museum.
 MacKinnon at Luena Mission, NER From the Marshal Collection in the Livingstone Museum.
 Lake Chila in 1907. It looks much the same as it does today.
 Lt Gaetz of the German Army in Tanganyika visits Abercorn.  This is the first car to visti the area and was photographed out side what looks like the African Lakes Corporation [ Mandala] Store.   
 Commander Spicer-Simpson RN with his men on Lake Tanganyika. "The Ice Cream War" and other histories  tell the story of his extraordinary expedition to Lake Tanganyika with the  Mimi  and the  TouTou  to sink the German vessels then dominating the lake.
 General Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck marching from the Chambezi to surrender in Abercorn on 25th November 1918.
 Von Lettow Vorbeck's surrender from the Zambia National Archives
 The site of the first original Abercorn Prison. This predates the existing Old Prison Museum that is across the main road that goes down to Lake Chila. This site is about opposite the Police Station. It was fortified in 1914 and defended Abercorn during the 1915 German attack.
 The trenches on the Siaisi in June 1915.
 The Defense of the Siaisi in 1915 also showing Lobb's Farm, the Stevenson Road and the Telegraph Line.   
 Line up of the Guns von Lettow Forbeck surrendered in Abercorn in November 1918. See next image for details of the weapons and Articles section for a description of the event.    Ref. BC330, Molteno/Murray Papers, UCT Libraries Special Collections.     
 Reverse of the image of the surrendered  German guns.    Collection BC330, Molteno/Murray Papers, UCT Libraries Special Collections.     
 Carriers marching though Kasanga to Bismarkburg in WWI
 Extract from the Abercorn Township Council Records now in the Livingstone Museum.  for burials in the Abercorn Cemetery showing First World War Casualties and other residents   Photo Courtesy Peter Jones.
 Extract from the Abercorn Township Council Recordsnow in the Livingstone Museum.  for burials in the Abercorn Cemetery showing First World War Casualties and other residents   Photo Courtesy Peter Jones.
 Extract from the Abercorn Township Council's Record of the burials in Abercorn Cemetery now in the Livingstone Museum. Photo Courtesy Peter Jones.   
 Post and Telegraph Staff in Abercorn c1901. These men were engaged in constructing Cecil Rhodes' Cape to Cairo Telegraph project.
 The Rubber Factory where the German forces were informed of the Armistice that concluded the First World War viewed from across the Chambezi.
 Reverse of the Photo of the Chambezi Rubber factory
 The Duchess of Abercorn holds a party
 Section of the Stevenson Road from Karonga on Lake Malawi to Katuta Bay on Lake Tanganyika. From the Marshall collection at the Livingstone Museum, courtesy Anita MacCullough.
 Afternoon Tea at the stream with Mrs Leyer the wife of the Commissioner in  August Abercorn in 1908/9. The best guess is that this is the Lucheche Stream and they are sitting at the point where the road bridge now crosses the Lucheche close to the outlet from Lake Chila.   
prev / next